Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Rant on Facebook

I am, put simply, the best Facebook stalker you will ever come across. If you are reading this now, chances are good that I already know your name, where you live, your mother's maiden name, your favorite color, your 2nd favorite childhood pet's name, your father's neighbor's blood type, etc. I am that good.

So when Facebook is misbehaving and making my stalking practically impossible, I rage. I can't find out who the person who sits next to me in French is (actually that's a lie; I know exactly who he is and I've already gone through all of his photos.) I can't find out who Gabriel/Cameron really is and still wish that I had talked to him more. BUT MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, I can't find my foods friend. All I know is his first name, and at that, I don't know the proper spelling of it. What does this mean for me? I actually have to interact with people in person? Heaven forbid.

But that's what society has become. Or at least, that's what I've become. Facebook has become my shield, a wall to hide behind. I can be tough and ballsy on Facebook and not worry about what happens. But in person, I'm not going to just walk up to someone and start having a deep conversation with them about why their grandmother can't remember their name and what really happened to their sister's sanity... Society demands that we be fearless online, but not in person. Face to face interactions are becoming few and far between. Is this a good thing? Is this a bad thing? Who knows.

What I do know, however, is that on the internet, no one knows you're a cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment