Friday, September 2, 2011

To be determined

Oh hello again!

Lately, I've found myself feeling lonely. That sounds awful. I don't need a guy, but I would like to have one. I have found myself thinking a lot lately "What do I want a guy to be like? What are some qualities that a guy I would date should have? Will he wear orange pleather shoes? Do I want him to be obsessed with Star Wars? Should he know more about quantum physics than I do? Does height really matter?" And so on and so forth.

I thought about making a list of all of the qualities THE MAN would have. But that seems pointless. A list makes life boring. Situations are much more exciting, and more eye-opening to a person's character. How the hell am I going to come up with so many situations, though? I can't. I don't want to. I won't. So basically, this is sort of a letter to the future guy rather than a response to various hypothetical conversations. Without further ado, I present what LR looks for in a guy.

Dear Mister,
     I hope that you have an exciting name. Something boring like John would be a letdown, but wouldn't completely turn me away (it would just take me much longer to warm up to you.) I can't really speak much for myself: everyone was naming their daughter MY name when I was born, so I'm not overly unique. Not at least, in that sense. If we're going to get married, I can almost guarantee that your name will make my name more exciting. Game on.
     Being taller than me would be nice, but is not necessary. Frowning upon shorter men makes me excessively shallow, so I must apologize in advance. But, let's be serious here: tall men just make me look short and adorable. Adorable=good.
     I hope you've either gone to college or are currently in college. Education is important. Your grandmother may disagree with me, but who really gets along with the in-laws right away? Not me. Thankfully your grandfather loves me, but he may just be interested in upgrading to a newer model. Ahem. Note to self: we're not meeting your grandparents until you propose. I'm just teasing, I love you!
     Be able to quote Disney movies in common conversation. You better have understood where my quote just above came from. If not, please let me move on to the next guy. I will frequently toss Disney quotes into my conversations with you: be prepared (for the chance of a lifetime.)
     You need to be smart. That does not mean that you have to be able to recite the entire Periodic Table to me along with atomic masses, common isotopes, etc. while we are enjoying dinner together. I just need you to be able to spell words correctly when I want to see stuff spelled correctly. I want you to be able to understand my frustrations with various school related stuff (using "stuff" too much at the moment...deepest apologies.) If I want to talk smart on a date, I expect you to be able to talk smart right back.
     I would love for you to be able to start a conversation with me and keep it going. I don't want to have to be the main talker ALL THE TIME. Be able to spark excitement when we are talking. The same conversation over and over gets old fast: keep the relationship alive. I'm excellent at talking if the topic is worth talking about.
     If you are a nerd and love fantasy/WOW/D&D/LOTR/Super heroes, don't be upset when I can't get excited with you. I can get excited for you, but that just isn't my cup of tea. The only thing like that which I truly enjoy is Harry Potter. On that note, you best be loving those British Wizards. OR ELSE.
     I need for you to understand that I don't always want to be lovey-dovey. I don't always want to act like a couple. If you are super touchy-feely, we do not belong together. And that's okay. I also don't like pet names unless there's a genuine reason behind them (in which case they are nicknames, not pet names.) Nothing will irk me more than you calling me baby, sweety, honey, babe, sugar pumpkin kitten face, and others. If I did something really stupid like walking head-on into a wall, I give you full permission to call me "Crash." But Crash is not Muffin Candy Bunny Doll. No.
     Sometimes I want to be crazy. Sometimes I want to go driving around with no destination. You better be ready for those times. Always have music on you: our road trips need a soundtrack, and you are the DJ. I will take anything you like, because regardless of whether I like it or not, I can have fun making fun of you and your disgraceful tastes in music, and you better take it like a man.
   
Any volunteers?

Hugs and kisses XOXO
LR

I will never use XOXO in a "Sirius" sense. Don't be worried.

As an add-on, don't be a Debbie Downer. Nobody likes someone who is always negative. I want to hear everything that's happening in your life, but you better put a positive spin on it. Just don't be overly bubbly...

No comments:

Post a Comment